Thursday, December 27, 2012

Chocolate Mint Snaps

Well, it's safe to say my Christmas Eve mishap put a little damper on all this blogging I was supposed to be doing. Coming down with what now appears to be a stomach virus, I was down for the count on Christmas Day. Luckily for me, I finished all of my baking on the Eve. Thank goodness for a great family that understood my want/need to be in bed all day and my great parents who took care of me and went out in search of Alka-Seltzer and Ginger Ale in the middle of entertaining on Christmas day. Love Family <3 Either way, these recipes are still great no matter what time of year, so a couple days after Christmas won't be the end of the world. I brought these cookies into my office during our Holiday gift exchange and they seemed to go over really well. 

It's true, I'm on a cookie kick. I'm not really sure why... that's a lie, I do. Since I've become quite lactose intolerant, it's pretty rare that I can try the batter,  cupcakes, and frosting to see whether they are good or not anymore so I find it easier to make cookies. On top of this, people are more likely to eat things that are quick and easy to grab. I've learned this as I've brought things into my office. I would bring in a container of cookies and they are gone in a few hours.. while the last couple of times I've brought in cupcakes, they've taken all day to finish. People don't mind having 3, 4 cookies, but they rarely have more than one cupcake. Yep, fact!

For these reasons, and my love for chocolate.... and mint, I decided to make chocolate mint snaps! Depending on how long you cook these cookies, you can either get a lighter fluffy cookie, or a thinner crispy cookie. I made mine so they were soft in the middle and crispy on the edge and I was (am) a hugeeee fan. Another great idea would be to place a hershey kiss in the middle like a peanut blossom. These cookies puff up like them in the oven. 

Go pick yourself up a little bottle of peppermint extract and start making these cookies :)



Chocolate Mint Snaps
Recipe adapted from Christmas Cookies

2 (1-ounce) squares semi-sweet chocolate
6 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
4 cups all purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/4 cups vegetable shortening
2 cups sugar
2 large eggs
1/4 cup light corn syrup
3 tablespoons water
2 teaspoons peppermint extract
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4-1/3 cup sugar for rolling

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Chop the squares into smaller chunks, and in a small microwave proof bowl, melt chocolate. Start with 20 second intervals and stir in between each. In a small bowl combine the flour, baking soda, and salt; set aside. Cream together shortening and sugar. Add in the eggs, vanilla extract, and peppermint extract. Combine cocoa powder and water, then add all chocolate mixtures to the batter. Slowly incorporate flour mixture. Spoon large tablespoons and roll into a ball. Roll the balls in sugar. 
Place about 2 inches apart on a baking sheet. 
Bake approximately 12-15 minutes. If you desire cookies that are crispy on the outside, and softer on the insider, you'll want to watch the cookies puff up, then start to settle. As soon as the cookies start settling, bake them for another minute then remove to cook on a baking rack.

I wrapped some up and placed them with some other cookies as my white elephant gift for work.


Enjoy! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment