Sunday, October 23, 2011

Chocolate Chip Banana Oat Muffins

Ripe bananas. Now I'm talking about reallyyyyy ripe bananas. I had one sitting in my kitchen that I've been meaning to cut up and put in the freezer for smoothies. I think I let it go a little too long for that. BUT, it was the perfect ripeness for a dessert.. or muffin. 
Anytime I get the chance to bake now, I take it. Muffins seem to be really easy since they are super easy to travel with (aka take to work) and I also always have the ingredients on hand. I always like putting my own twist into recipes, even if it's just adding chocolate chips. In this case, I did that and I also made muffins instead of bread! They are super delicious and moist


Chocolate Chip Banana Oat Muffins
Adapted from Banana Oatmeal Bread
Makes 10 muffins (Double to make 18 bigger muffins)
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1/4 cup canola oil
1 large egg
2/3 cup mashed banana (the one large banana I had)
1/2 cup quick oats
1/4 cup 2% milk
1 cup whole wheat flour (all-purpose flour is fine too)
1/2 Tbsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 cup chocolate chips


Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Mash the banana in a bowl 
Combine with oats and milk. In the base of a stand mixer (or large bowl), beat together brown sugar, canola oil, and egg. Add the banana mixture to the sugar mixture and beat well. Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon in a small bowl and whisk together. Gradually add the flour mixture into the wet mixture and slowly beat until all dry ingredients are incorporated. If desired, add 1/2 cup of semi-sweet chocolate chips. 
Fold the chocolate chips into the batter and spoon heaping tablespoons into liners or muffins tins sprayed with cooking oil or non-stick spray.
Scrape the bowl clean to get as many muffins as possible, you won't be sorry...
Bake at 350 for 20 minutes. Check the centers of the muffins with a toothpick and if needed, return to oven for 3-5 minutes. If you need to put it back in the oven, I suggest checking on them every 2 minutes or so. Cool them in the tins for 10 minutes then remove to cool on a wire rack. 
You can't tell me those don't look delicious.

As always,
Enjoy :)

No comments:

Post a Comment