Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Mocha Chocolate Chip Cookies

So, being as behind as I am in blog posts, I completely missed my birthday! Finally 22, woo. That's good for... absolutely nothing. I don't even look any older. This weekend I was asked if I was a teenager. A TEENAGER. And today at work I was told I look like I could pass as a 19-yr old intern. Oh life, how you're just hilarious. 

Anyway, one of the treats I made for my birthday (because yes, I obviously baked for my own birthday... let's be serious, who knows me better than.. me?) were mocha chocolate chip cookies. They were absolutely deeeeeelicious. A couple switches from several recipes made for the perfectttt cookie! At first I thought I may have put in too much espresso powder, but definitely not. If you taste the batter (since I can't NOT taste it), it's definitely strong, but bakes perfectly. Yummm
Adapted from Cook's Illustrated chocolate chip cookies

Mocha Chocolate Chip Cookies
2 cups all purpose flour
2 Tbsp instant espresso powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 sticks butter, melted
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup sugar
1 egg + 1 egg yolk
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
8 oz. chocolate chips

Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. In the base of a stand mixer, beat the butter and sugars together. Add in the eggs once the butter has cooled, followed by the vanilla. Combine the flour, espresso powder, baking soda and salt in a small bowl. Slowly incorporate the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. Fold in the chocolate chips.
Place the dough in the refrigerator for at least a half hour. I placed mine overnight and they came out perfect. Drop heaping tablespoons onto a cookie sheet and bake for 8-10 minutes. You will want the cookies to be a little puffy when you take them out. They will continue to cook slightly after you take them out and settle into a super cute cookie.  

Look at those speckles! Mocha flavor at it's finest. This is the best textured cookie I have tried to date. I'm a chewy cookie fan, and these are definitely chewy!

Please ignore my mom's awesome Hawaiian themed serving tray... I guess bursts of color can be fun


Enjoy! :)





No comments:

Post a Comment