Sunday, September 18, 2011

Whole Wheat Apple Almond Muffins

So I started writing this post like, 2 weeks ago. Unfortunately/Fortunately, I've been very busy with my big move that I haven't had time to finish. Now I've been officially employed for a whole week now, and I survived! Here's a nice Sunday to catch up on the blogging. The great thing is that since I'm finally employed, my blog is ACTUALLY true. I'm an engineer! Yay! More to come about the fascinating life as an engineer in future posts... but here's some delicious breakfast or snack muffins!




This is definitely more experimenting... and a successful experimentation if I do say so myself. I had some McIntosh apples in my refrigerator that I decided I wasn't so fond of. They were just too soft to pair with my greek yogurt and cinnamon snack!
Anyway I wanted to use them up without wasting them, soo I figured I could make a muffin with them.


One of my awesome friends came over to help me make these and we had a ball to say the least. Things I learned... I apparently don't know how to peel the skin off an apple. I tried peeling from top to bottom... who does that? Of course I learned the better way was to go arounddd the apple, so I let Brit do this job. She was clearly an expert. We experimented with the almonds too, simply replacing tablespoons of flour for tablespoons of ground almonds. I was a fan.
Here it goes!


Whole Wheat Apple Almond Muffins
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1 1/2 oz. roasted Almonds (will need to be ground up) (4 Tbsp ground Almond for the batter)
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup butter
1 cup sugar
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
2 eggs
1 1/2 cups peeled apples* (about 2 medium sized apples)


Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. In either a food processor or using a magic bullet, place the roasted almonds in and grind up until a powder is formed. If you over beat, it will become more of a paste (a little bit of this is okay). You'll want to take out any large chunks that may still exist. Set aside. In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat the sugar and butter together until smooth. Add both eggs and vanilla and beat together. Slowly add in the flour, ground almonds, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Finally, fold in the peeled apples*. 


*[With a vegetable peeler, remove the skin of an apple by starting in the center, rotating, and moving outward. once the skin is gone, use the peeler to make slivers of apple. You can also use a coarse cheese grater, but I found out that I personally like the apple slivers. they have a lot of surface area, making it easy to thoroughly incorporate the apple into the batter, unlike chunks.]


Using heaping tablespoons and a 12-cup regular sized muffin tin, divide the batter evenly. With any remaining ground almonds, sprinkle on top of each muffin. Place in the oven for 18-20 minutes. Remove from tins and let cool!


These muffins were definitely super delicious






Enjoy! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment