Sunday, December 4, 2011

Chocolate Peppermint Crinkles

It's December! Where in the world have the last few months gone. I seriously have no idea. Anyway, can you guess what I love about December?! Yup, Christmas. Even more? Christmas cookies! (or just Christmas desserts in general). My goal is to try a couple of different recipes for Christmas BEFORE Christmas, that way, maybe someone can actually bake them this year! And maybe I can decide what I'm going to bring to my family's house... 


This weekend I went to a Christmas cookie decorating party. Totally up my ally. It was awesome and there were just sooo many cookies. I had this chocolate crinkle recipe from high school that I used to make every once in a while. They're covered in powdered sugar so when they bake, they look super festive. Rather than just chocolate, I thought of adding some peppermint! Adding cinnamon to fall desserts is like adding peppermint to winter ones. You can really never go wrong.


I was in Giant and looking at the Christmas candy. I saw some peppermint kisses and I was super intrigued. Not only are they white chocolate and delicious, they have a crunch too! Awesome. Clearly I had to chop these up and throw them into my batter. Oh hey, Holiday cookie #1.
Peppermint Chocolate Crinkles
4 eggs
2 cups sugar
4 ounces unsweetened chocolate, melted and cooled
1/2 cup canola oil
2 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp peppermint extract (Don't like peppermint? substitute this for more vanilla extract)
1/2 tsp salt
2 cups flour
3/4 cup powdered sugar, sifted
8 oz. peppermint kisses


Set the oven to 350 degrees. With a large knife, chop up the Hersey kisses. Set aside
In a mixing bowl, beat together the eggs, sugar, oil, chocolate, and extracts. In a smaller bowl combine the flour, salt, and baking powder. Slowly incorporate the flour mixture. Fold in the chopped up kisses.
Cover bowl with tin foil or saran wrap and place in the refrigerator for anywhere from 2 to 24 hours. If you're in a hurry, you can try placing them in the freezer for about 45 minutes. Keep an eye on the batter.
Ah, does that not look delicious?! 

Just before taking the batter out of the refrigerator, sift the powdered sugar into a small bowl. Take tablespoons of the batter, roll into balls, and then roll them in the powdered sugar.
Place the dough on a large baking sheet at least 2 inches apart and bake in the oven for 10 minutes. After removing the cookies from the oven, immediately transfer to wire racks to cool. 

Ah, I loved the combination of chocolate and peppermint. Definitely a fan of this recipe. For my next Christmas cookie I'm thinking Snickerdoodle? Or maybe ginger snaps. Hmmm so many options!
Enjoy :)

No comments:

Post a Comment