Thursday, August 25, 2011

Cinnamon Roll Muffins

I'm falling more and more in love with my Kitchen-Aid stand mixer one recipe at a time. 


I'm only on number 2 yet the love is growing. How else would I have been able to make this big hunk of dough?! The absolute best thing about this recipe is that there's no yeast required. Yeast is one of those ingredients I haven't ventured to yet since well, I'm really impatient and don't know how to sit around waiting for dough to rise quite honestly. I'm also semi-nervous because who knows what kind of can of worms using yeast could open. Bread and doughnuts and different types of muffins, endless possibilities.... yea I'm just going to hold off as long as possible. 
So my one mistake for this recipe was not realizing that I needed large muffin tins until I was already cutting the rolls into 2-inch pieces. So what, I compromised the appearance a little - but they still taste absolutely delicious. I couldn't keep my hands off one for longer than 5 minutes. I think I had my cinnamon-sugar fix for the next few days. Anyway, if you don't have a large tin, you can cut the pieces smaller, probably around one or one and a half inches long so they'll be smaller, but they will also be pretty. If you don't care about look and don't have a large pan, you can just do what I did! 


I came across the recipe on The Comfort of Cooking and all I did was add some cinnamon into the dough (because you can never have enough cinnamon) and used some whole wheat flour. I also added more cinnamon into the filling. Seriously, cinnamon is awesome. If you're up for the challenge, try out this delicious breakfast treat!


Cinnamon Roll Muffins
1 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 egg
2 cups all purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
(about an extra 1/2 cup of flour while rolling out the dough)


For the filling:
2 Tbsp butter, room temp
2/3 cup light brown sugar
1/2 Tbsp ground cinnamon
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. In the base of a stand mixer (I love saying that...) or a large mixing bowl, measure the brown sugar, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon. Next add the egg and vanilla. Pour in the buttermilk until everything is fully incorporated. 


Slowly add in the flour until a smooth dough forms. Scrape the side and bottom of bowl as necessary. 


Roll dough out on a lightly floured surface. I probably could have made my life easier by rolling it out on a floured piece of parchment paper instead. Anyway, you want to try and make this into a 12" x 24" sheet of dough.


In a small bowl combine the brown sugar and cinnamon. Take a rubber spatula and spread the butter along the entire surface. Sprinkle the cinnamon and brown sugar on top of this layer. Here comes the fun part, seeing whether or not you use enough flour on the surface. Roll the dough along the longer edge.



Once rolled, cut in into 2-inch pieces and place into a greased large muffin tin. 
(This shows the actual cut size in the wrong sized pan, you can see how the tops of the muffins tower over the top edge of the pan!)

Bake for about 15 minutes. Let stand for 5 minutes, then eat! Recipe adapted from here. You can also find the recipe for the icing there if desired. I think these are sweet and moist enough as-is. 


My dad is officially the happiest person to have me home since this will be his breakfast for the next week. Or it may only last him a couple days. Before I make these again, I'll be sure to purchase the large muffin tins. I'm actually surprised I don't have them already... 


See, they're still pretty cute


Enjoy :)


No comments:

Post a Comment