Monday, July 25, 2011

Blueberry Buttermilk Muffins

I have been on a serious baking frenzy lately. I'm moving out at the end of the week and well, I have a ton of ingredients that I've been trying to use up. Not to mention baking helps me to relax when I start thinking about the fact that I'll be leaving my nice, safe, college style life and apartment. Tears. 
Anyway, I had a huge bag of frozen blueberries and a container of buttermilk. Not to mention the butter that has accumulated in my refrigerator since i would just buy it practically every time it was on sale since I used it so much. 
I was trying to think of something practical to make, so I don't need a bunch of people to eat them right away. Instead I thought about freezing them and having them be a great breakfast. Using all 3 ingredients that I'm trying to get rid of led me straight to blueberry buttermilk muffins, and they surely don't disappoint. 


I substituted 2 cups of all purpose flour for whole wheat flour (in an attempt to add something wholesome to them) and sprinkled sugar on top to add some crunch without adding a ton of calories for a crumble topping.






Blueberry Buttermilk Muffins (about 18 medium-sized muffins)
2 cups whole wheat flour
1/2 cups all purpose flour
3/4 cup sugar
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
2 eggs, beaten
1 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup butter
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 cup blueberries (frozen and thawed)


Set oven to 375 degrees. Sift dry ingredients together in a large bowl. In another bowl, whisk eggs, buttermilk, melted butter, and vanilla. Create a well in the dry ingredients and pour in the liquid ingredients. Incorporate mixture quickly. Finally, fold in the blueberries. Grease a 12-cup medium muffin/cupcake tin and drop heaping tablespoons into each one as seen below.


If desired, sprinkle sugar over the top of each muffin. Bake until cupcakes are golden brown and a toothpick comes out clean, about 20-30 minutes. After a few minutes, remove muffins from tin and let them finish cooling on a tray. 





Like cinnamon? Mix some cinnamon and brown sugar together and sprinkle it on top of the muffins before putting them in the oven. (Approximately 1/4 to 1/2 tsp cinnamon for each tablespoon of light brown sugar used).
Sprinkled with cinnamon and sugar

Muffins stay well in airtight containers, but if you're like me and enjoy feeding other people, throw a bunch in freezer safe bags and tell whoever you give them to, to pop them in the microwave for 30 seconds. They are probably the best when cut, tossed in the toaster or a toasted oven, and spread with a little bit of whipped butter. Deeeeeelicious 




Enjoy! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment