Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Steel Cut Oat Risotto for Two

A couple of months ago I bought steel-cut Irish oats in an attempt to make some at-home protein bars. Those didn't turn out so well, so now I was stuck with a container of steel-cut oats. In my attempt to use up the ingredients in my apartment that I don't necessarily want to bring home with me (after all I need as much room as possible for my shoes, clothing, and boxes upon boxes of kitchen tools/appliances) I found a very interesting dinner recipe. 


So yes, I usually post about my baking, but this dinner was totally worthy of a post. When it comes to cooking, I always tend to keep my dishes healthy. Why? Well lets say it makes up for all the baking I do, even though I probably enjoy making the things I bake more than actually eating them. With under 400 calories per serving and 36 grams of protein (quite filling too), this recipe is a keeper!






Steel-Cut Oat Risotto with Chicken, Peppers, and Cheddar Cheese
1 (14-oz) can fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
1 small onion, chopped
1/2 large bell pepper, chopped
1/2 cup steel-cut oats
1/4 cup dry white wine
8 oz. chicken (I grilled chicken tenderloins in pepper and onion powder)
1 oz. sharp cheddar cheese, chopped 
1/4 tsp salt


Bring broth to a simmer in a medium saucepan (do not boil). Keep warm prior to incorporating it into the dish. For the chicken, you can use last nights leftovers, or some rotisserie chicken from the super market. Personally I enjoy cooking fresh chicken. On 9-10 oz. raw chicken tenderloins, sprinkle pepper and onion powder. Grill on one side for about 5-7 minutes. Flip and continue cooking until internal temperature reaches 170 degrees. Remove from pan and let them sit on a cutting board while preparing the rest of the meal. 

Spray a saute pan with non-stick cooking spray and over medium heat saute onions and peppers for about 5 minutes. Add the oats and cook for about 2 minutes, stirring constantly. 


Stir in wine and cook for 2 minutes, or until nearly absorbed. Add broth, 1/4 cup at a time until each portion of the broth is fully absorbed. (This portion takes about 20 minutes)


While the liquid is absorbing, chop up the chicken. (You want to let the chicken sit so all the juices don't just drip out). Stir in chicken, cheese, and salt. Stir until cheese is fully melted. 
Serve and enjoy. 





Look at that delicious cheesy texture! Yummm :)

Nutritional Information:
Calories: 360
Carbohydrates: 38g
Fats: 9g
Protein: 36g
Fiber: 6g

No comments:

Post a Comment