Saturday, October 29, 2011

Sweet Roasted Pumpkin Seeds

I have so much blogging to catch up on! Here's my newest experimentation. Caramelized delicious little pumpkin seeds. Slightly sweet with a delicious taste of fall (aka cinnamon) and a yummy crunch :) I tried a couple variations on the recipe and decided this was my favorite sweet variety.
Last weekend me and my roommate finally got around to carving pumpkins. Mid cleaning of the pumpkin, I realized I had never actually cleaned the pumpkin out myself, but my parents had always helped me or done it for me. I hate weird textures and it was absolutely a disgusting texture. Anyway, after finally sucking it up and cleaning out the (rather large) pumpkins we were going to carve, I needed to figure out what I was going to create! We figured we could carve things into both sides, yet the only thing I could think of was a cupcake. Yup, a cupcake into a pumpkin... so I went with it. Forever and a day later, I had a carved pumpkin and a ridiculous amount of pumpkin seeds left. 

I put way too much effort into this...
And with a big candle inside it looks pretty cute!
Flaming cherry on top? Sure why not. 

The recipe is super easy and pretty quick. 

Sweet Roasted Pumpkin Seeds
1 1/2 cups raw pumpkin seeds
1-2 tsp agave syrup (can substitute this for honey)
2 Tbsp light brown sugar
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg

Set oven to 300 degrees. Rinse, clean, and dry raw pumpkin seeds.
 In a large bowl, pour the agave syrup over the seeds and coat them evenly
Place all of the ingredients into the bowl with the seeds.
Mix everything until the seeds are evenly coated!
I got really carried away with taking pictures since I was actually baking during the day :)
Lay the seeds out onto a parchment paper lined baking sheet and place in the pre-heated oven for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, you'll want to mix around the seeds a little, try and flip them over or at least try and separate some that are starting to stick together. The sugar will start to caramelize at this point. Return to the oven for another 11-13 minutes. Remove from the oven and start to separate some of the seeds. Let cool on the pan.
They'll clump together, so once the seeds are cool you'll be able to break some of the chunks. It's definitely worth it!
Enjoy! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment