Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Pretzel M&M Brownie Cookie Wedges

For my fourth and final dessert, since 3 clearly wasn't enough, I wanted to make a bar like dessert. I didn't have any plain cookies, and I had nothing with just plain chocolate either. Why not combine the two? I used a whole brownie recipe and halved a cookie recipe. I was able to fill two round baking pans. One was 9" and the other was a 6" pan. You can use one large rectangular pan with about the same volume. I also wanted to use a topping and mix-in with the recipe. I chose chocolate chips and pretzel M&M's. Yup, I finally found a recipe to use my beloved pretzel M&M's with. Let's get started...




Super Moist Brownie
3 squares (3 ounces) semi-sweet baking chocolate 
2 sticks butter
2 cups white sugar
4 eggs
1 cup flour
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup crushed pretzel M&M's and chocolate chips!


Melt butter and chocolate in a large bowl in the microwave or using a double boiler. In another bowl, mix together together the sugar and vanilla. Beat sugar with the chocolate and butter mixture until fluffy. Add in eggs one at a time beating until each is incorporated. Add in flour and mix on the lowest level until everything is even throughout. Fold in the extras! Place on the side while making the cookie batter adapted from Baking Illustrated.


Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies
1 cup plus 1 tablespoon flour
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
6 Tbsp (3/4 stick) butter, melted and cooled
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1/4 cup white sugar
1 large egg
2 tsp vanilla extract
3/4 cup chocolate chips


Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Whisk together flour, baking soda and salt in medium bowl and place aside. Using a whisk, mix together the butter and sugars until well blended. Beat in the egg and vanilla until combined. Add dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Mix in chocolate chips.


Other Ingredients
3/4 cup crushed Pretzel M&M's
5 Oreo Cookies (for the small pan only)


Now this is the fun part, I swear. Spread the brownie batter in a greased pan. The large 9" pan was used for the party, the 6" pan was to give to some friends, so it worked out well. On top of the brownie batter, sprinkle about 1/4 cup of Pretzel M&M's evenly. Now with a small spoon and your (well washed) hands, take bits of cookie dough and scatter it on top of the brownie base.


Yea it will look pretty delicious. Now crush up the 5 Oreo cookies and sprinkle them in the smaller sized pan. 




And as if there's not already enough in this dessert, go back with more cookie dough. It will help the Oreo's stay part of the wedges...

If I do remember correctly, this is precisely the time I texted my boyfriend to tell him that I think I lost my mind, because well it doesn't stop here. Bake for 35 minutes. After this time, remove and sprinkle with the remaining Pretzel M&M's. Place back into the oven for 5-10 minutes or until a toothpick is removed clean. 

Since there are so many layers, it's a little hard to tell. I put in my toothpick and it came out blue, thanks, M&M! My suggestion is go for the middle and leave yourself a little area to access the brownie. If it still seems too moist, throw it back in the oven for another 5 minutes. These are really dense so that's why there's a longer cooking time. 


Talk about an all-in-one dessert. Seriously delicious if I do say so myself. Just look at how beautiful those pretzel M&M's look! Beautiful, I know. 




Use a knife and spatula to help you cut the oh-so-cute wedges


So after hours of baking my 4 different desserts for my graduation party, as well as my mothers birthday, turns out that Long Island decided it would be the best day for record rainfall. Yup, 12 inches in my town. The entire extended family was over under some tarps that my dad fixed up rather well, if I do say so myself. Maybe I get some of my brains from him. Anyway, I'd say the desserts went pretty well. And the leftovers, my family had some, and the boyfriend got the rest... let's just say he's a happy camper.



Enjoy :)

No comments:

Post a Comment