Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Mini Chili Endive Boats

I seriously have to start blogging about my dinners more. I make dinner for myself every night, and I'm always trying new things each week. I said it before, and I'm going to say it again... time to start blogging about my dinners (we'll see how this actually goes).


I was at the supermarket when I saw endives on sale. I've never done anything with them, but I was really intrigued to use them, so I bought them. (This would be one of the reasons I spend so much money on food every week). Anyway, Friday night I was home and about to cook dinner and was thinking about what I could put inside of them. It's been forever since I've made my chili that I used to make for me and roommate all the time, but I also wanted to switch it up. I played around with my chili recipe and came up with these.


Cute, healthy, and delicious. Definitely a little kick to these things, unless of course you like spicy things, then there's no kick at all. I'm super sensitive to spicy things, but I still thoroughly enjoyed it.


Mini Chili Endive Boats
Serves 2 for dinner
1/2 lb ground turkey
1 can (8 oz.) tomato sauce
1 onion, chopped
1 yellow pepper, chopped
1 orange pepper, chopped
1 endive
2 tsp chili powder
1/4 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp cinnamon
pinch of paprika
pinch of salt


Clean your vegetables thoroughly. Chop off the stem of the endives and place back into the refrigerator to  keep cool. Chop up the onions and peppers.
The smaller the better. Spray a skillet with non-stick cooking spray or canola oil. Cook onions and pepper on medium-low heat for about 10 minutes until the onions are slightly browned. Remove and set aside. In a separate skillet, brown the meat. Make sure to really chop up the meat while you're doing this, the consistency of the chili will be much better! Once the meat is cooked, add the can of tomato sauce as well as the spices. 
Mix together until sauce is evenly distributed. Add in the cooked onions and peppers. Bring the mixture to a boil then reduce to medium-low heat. Place lid on the skillet and cook for about 10 minutes. Remove lid and stir mixture to make sure nothing is sticking to the bottom of the pan. Return lid and cook for another 10 minutes on low heat. Stir and cook for another 5-10 minutes.
The longer the chili cooks, the more flavor the meat will absorb. But 25-30 minutes is enough time to still be delicious. Spoon chili mixture into the endives and eat!

Enjoy :)

No comments:

Post a Comment