Thursday, July 7, 2011

4th of July Cupcakes!

This past weekend I went home with Andrew to go to the beach and see some of his family for the 4th of July holiday. This was the perfect excuse to bake. Since none of his family has ever tasted any of my baking, I relied on my never-fail Devil's Food Cake recipe. Since it was a summertime treat (and I wanted a red, white, and blue topping) I used a light cream cheese whipped cream frosting. It's fluffy and light for the summer but delicious as well. Overall it was a huge hit. The Devil's Food Cake recipe can be found in a previous post, but here's the frosting recipe!






Whipped Cream Cream Cheese Frosting
1 8oz. package of reduced-fat cream cheese
1/2 cup white sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 cups heavy cream


Combine the cream cheese, sugar, and extract in a large mixing bowl and mix on medium until the mixture is smooth. While the mixture is still whipping, slowly add the heavy cream. Scrape down the sides of the bowls frequently until the frosting can hold stiff peaks. 


Refrigeration is not necessary, but recommended to store. These are best topped right before serving and will stay fresh at room temperature. I topped these bad boys with fresh blueberries and strawberries and so therefore I refrigerated all of the leftovers, surprisingly it was even more delicious since the cupcake was also cold with the topping. It's all about personal preference.






Enjoy :)

No comments:

Post a Comment