Thursday, March 10, 2011

Streusel Cupcakes

This is a new recipe for me. My parents visited from Long Island this past weekend and we decided to make a nice steak dinner at my apartment so I could invite some of my roommates and friends. Naturally I needed to make a dessert. My dad is pretty picky when it comes to desserts, nothing too sweet or chocolaty. I found this recipe in my favorite cupcake book. Martha Stewart's Cupcakes. Highly suggested. Anyway, I found this recipe for streusel cupcakes, which is very similar to coffee cake and my dad happens to be a huge fan. Streusel cupcakes it was!


Photo by Emi Niesi




Cupcake Ingredients:
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 1/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp coarse salt
1/2 cup + 2 tbsp (1 1/4 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
1 cup sugar
3 large eggs, room temperature
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
1 1/4 cups sour cream


Streusel Ingredients:
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup packed dark-brown sugar
2 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
3/4 tsp coarse salt
1/2 cup + 2 tbsp (1 1/4 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature



Prepare the streusel topping first by whisking together the flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, and salt. Cut in the butter using a pastry blender, fingers, or two table knives until combined but still crumbly. I don't have a pastry blender, and I think using my fingers worked best honestly. Refrigerate the mixture 30 minutes before using.


Onto the batter: Preheat the oven to 350 deg. Whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Cream butter and sugar until pale and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, beating just until each is incorporated. Stir in vanilla by hand. Add flour mixture and sour cream; stir until just combined.


Divide the batter evenly among the cupcake liners. Sprinkle half the topping over the cupcakes and gently press them into the batter. Sprinkle the remaining topping evenly. Bake for about 20 minutes, rotating halfway through. Once cool, you can drizzle with the milk glaze.


Glaze:
1 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar (sifted)
3 tbsp milk


Whisk together ingredients and use immediately. I found it useful to put the contents into a plastic bag and cut one corner to act as a make-shift piping bag.




Photo by Emi Niesi


I mean, who wouldn't want to eat this! Especially in the super cute pink liners. My mom loves sending me pretty cupcake liners :) 


Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment