Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Mint Chocolate Cupcake Bites

So when I made the mint chocolate cupcakes last weekend, I had some leftovers. I mean, who would have thought that 30 mint cupcakes wouldn't all be eaten? Anyway, knowing I had a lot of family coming over, and a boyfriend who was pretty upset to not be able to try the cupcakes, I wanted to be able to save them without them getting too stale. The solution as always was a cake pop, or what I like to call cupcake bites. There was the perfect amount of frosting on each of the cupcakes to make it the perfect consistency. I had some extra mint Oreo's so I decided to crush them up and throw them in also. Extra mint? Whyyyy not. The good news is that they lasted and tasted delicious!




I wanted to do more than just dip the balls in chocolate. Something decorative needed to be added obviously... I just didn't know what. I had some extra white chocolate and figured I could decorate with that, until I got this fantastic idea to make the chocolate minty and green. Sometimes in your local party or craft store, you can find the melting chocolates in mint flavoring. If not, get some white chocolate and follow these rules :)


Mint White Chocolate
2.5 ounces white melting chocolate
1/4 tsp mint extract
2 drops green gel food coloring


*For the balls: After combining the cupcakes and frosting, place the batter in the refrigerator for about 20 minutes to a half hour. Remove and form into 1-inch balls. Place on a plate or tray with parchment paper and put them in the freezer for about 5 minutes. While in the freezer, melt the milk chocolate. Remove balls from freezer and using a small spoon, dip each into the chocolate and remove while letting the excess drip off. Place back on the parchment paper and back in the freezer once all are completed for about 5 minutes - until hard.


*For the Mint White Chocolate Drizzle: Melt the chocolate in the microwave in 30 second intervals, stirring after each one until all chocolate is melted. For each 2.5 ounces of chocolate used, you want to use 1/4 tsp mint extract and about 2 drops green gel food coloring. Mix until the the chocolate is uniform in color. I then used a rubber spatula to remove all of the chocolate from the bowl and placed it in a sandwich bag. I cut off the end and drizzled it across each already-cooled chocolate ball. Yum yum yumm



So simple, yet the perfect touch to the rather plain looking cupcake bites. With it cut open, you can see the larger bites of Oreo's as well as the mixed in mint chocolate that was sprinkled into the frosting. 


These are probably my second favorite Cupcake bites that I've made. The first one being the S'more Cupcake Bites. Definitely worth a try.

Second dessert for my graduation party completed... 2 more to go?!

No comments:

Post a Comment